April 2017 – Child born out of wedlock

In Arizona, if you have a child born out of wedlock (i.e. when you are not married) paternity must be established by the Court before the Court can enter orders on legal decision-making authority and parenting time, and before it can order someone to pay child support. In a majority of cases, establishing paternity is not a big deal if the parties agree on who the parents are, but other cases are more complicated.

Fathers- what do you do if you are the alleged Father, but you have doubts that the child is biologically yours? Or, conversely, what do you do if you’ve believed for a significant period of time that you were the Father, and treated the child as such, only to later be told by your partner that you aren’t?

Mothers- if you are trying to establish child support- either on your own or through DES, how do you go about establishing paternity with an uncooperative Father who never signed the birth certificate?

Both Parents- do you know what rights you have prior to establishment of paternity? What if paternity was established pursuant to child support proceedings, but there are no Court orders regarding legal decision-making authority and/or parenting time?

Check out the Owens & Perkins website and our blogs this month as we discuss all of these questions and more in a new four-part series on Paternity.

Owens & Perkins offers free, 30-Minute Phone Consultations. If you would like to schedule a complimentary consultation, please call the office at (480) 994-8824.

What Sets Us Apart?

We Treat Our Clients Like Family

Family Owned and Operated

Highly-Rated and Recognized

90+ Years Combined Legal Experience

Free 30-Minute Phone Consultation

Contact Our Firm Today

Fill out the form to get started on your confidential consultation.

We’re Committed To Our Community

See How We Give Back

We Believe in Building Lifelong Relationships

Read Our Reviews

Free 30-Minute Phone Consultation

Schedule Yours Today