The divorce process is never easy, but can become even more difficult when you and your spouse have accrued many assets during your marriage and have a diverse financial portfolio which could encompass any or all of the following:
- Partnership interests, whether you are an active participant or just a passive investor;
- Retirement accounts like pensions, 401Ks, 403Bs, SEPs, IRAs, or Roth IRAs;
- Employer incentive programs like stock options, restricted stock awards, ESSOPs, and incentive bonuses;
- Intellectual property like patents or copyrights;
- Significant and valuable collections of art, guns, coins, baseball cards or stamps among other things;
- Horses, cattle or other livestock.
When there is a lot of money and/or assets at stake and are complex, an accurate accounting and appraisal of these assets is essential and having an attorney who is familiar with a variety of assets and investments, how they work, and the financial ramifications associated the division of the same will help to ensure a fair and equitable result at the conclusion of your divorce.
If you find yourself, a friend or a loved one are in need of family law assistance and help protecting your assets, please call OWENS & PERKINS at 480.994.8824 to schedule your free 30 minute consultation.