Establishment Of Paternity For IV-D Child Support

A common reason for a Mother to want to establish the paternity of an uninvolved Father is so that she can receive needed child support. A Court cannot order someone to pay child support unless paternity has been established.

Sometimes, however, even the idea of receiving needed financial assistance is not enough for some Mothers to involved disinterested Fathers- they would rather they stay away. However, this decision is no longer their own if the Mother looks to the state of Arizona to provide the financial assistance by way of Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) or applying for Arizona Health Care Cost Containment System (AHCCCS). In those cases, the government will essentially file for child support from the Father on behalf of the state, assuming that if the Mother receives some support from the Father, she will need less money from the government. These are referred to as “IV-D” cases.

What parents need to remember, though, is that DES represents the state in these IV-D cases- not you. Not even if you are the one petitioning for child support. If the state opens up a child support case, it is always best to consult with an attorney regarding your rights and responsibilities before any hearing.

If you would like to work with one of our experienced Attorneys, please call OWENS & PERKINS at (480) 994-8824 to schedule your free 30-minute consultation.