2015 may have been your worst year ever, particularly if you are in the process of or have just signed divorce papers. Now that a new year is upon you, this is the time to think positively and set new goals for your new life. 2016 doesn’t have to be scary, dreary or daunting if you make the right resolutions for you. Here are some helpful tips:
- Stay positive: Turn down that critical inner voice. What happened a year or a month ago is over, so stop dwelling on it. Think about all the great things the future will bring.
- Manage your money: No matter your situation, it’s important to create a budget. Managing your money will give you confidence, especially if you once relied on your spouse to handle your finances.
- Travel someplace new: This is the best part about being divorced – you can vacation wherever you choose. You can go anywhere, so do it. Go alone if you have to. Get out there and see the world, even if it’s in town or a town next to yours.
- Find a new hobby: If your ex-spouse shut down your interests, you can now engage in them to your heart’s desire. Use your spare time to create room for your hobbies; the more you have, the less likely you are to feel alone.
- Make new friends: If the friends you had when you were once a couple have disappeared, or chosen sides (and not yours), maybe now’s the time to meet new friends. Talk to your neighbors, go to your work happy hours, or get involved in a volunteer organization.
As you say farewell to 2015, put the negativity of your divorce behind you. Before you know it, your post-divorce blues may actually turn into bliss. However, if you are in need of an attorney to help you with any problems that may have arisen since your divorce and would like to discuss your options with one of our experienced family law attorneys, contact Owens & Perkins at (480) 994-8824 for a complimentary ½ hour consultation.